World Alliance of YMCAs
Executive Committee Meetings
22 March 2014
The above, as well as the below quoted agenda was the agenda for the Executive Committee on Saturday the 22nd of March, by means of a conference call. At the same time the agenda was prepared and worked through by the Officers’ and Committee Chairs’ Meeting which started on Thursday the 20th of March here in Geneva. It was a great pleasure to welcome Ken Colloton, President of WAY and his wife Annette, Fernando Ondarza, Vice President of WAY, Helen MwEwan, Treasurer, Patricia Pelton, Chair of Image&Impact Task Force and Martin Meissner, Immediate Past President of WAY to our World Alliance Headquarter in Geneva. Vezi Mncwango was not able to participate at this meeting, Vezi is the chair of the Governance Committee. On the first photo you see us visiting the new WAY Apartment in Rue Velour here in Geneva. Staff Placements and decentralized staff members and other visitors to WAY use this apartment as our new guest house.
Executive Committee Meeting
22 March 2014 – 14.00 hrs CET
By Telephone Conference
Here entering the Headquarter in the early morning, ready for a long day of hard work! Ken, Patricia, Martin, Fernando and Helen. Look carefully at this group of people. We are blessed with a fantastic group of Governance Leaders in the World YMCA, and personally I find it an inspiration to work closely with all of them. Great YMCA leaders, and if I may – great friends!
- J.R. Mott Formula – recommendation from Finance and Governance Committees. We discussed an improved way of managing the invested funds in the so called John R. Mott Fund, and it was unanimously passed by the Executive Committee.
2. New title – World YMCA – recommendation from Image & Impact Committee. Here we discussed the proposed and shortened name of the organization. We proposed that the constitutional name should be kept – the World Alliance of YMCAs, but for daily usage the shorter version World YMCA was proposed, and unanimously passed by the Executive Committee, together with the new visual presentation:
To the right Helen – Treasurer of WAY and to the left Patricia, Chair of Image&Impact and responsible for the process around the new name and logo.
3. Strategic Plan – going into the World Council – recommendation from the Strategic Planning Committee. We went through the new Strategic Plan – called OUR WAY. It has been out and around in the whole movement for consultations two times, and this was now the final version to be tabled for the Executive Committee for them to decide how the version should look like to be presented at the World Council in Estes Park this summer. We had a good process and made some clarifications. The new version was then unanimously passed by the Executive Committee.
4.World Council – Update from the World Council Planning Committee. Here we invited Selma Zaidi to present her report from the preparation of the World Council. We went through the programme and the logistics. There are 83 countries registered by now, and 1174 participants, and it is growing every day! The report was received by the Executive Committee with support from James Eko Rhule, the Governance Oversight leader together with Courtney Lawrence.
The saturday Night Dinner was Chez Ingunn&Johan in 34 Avenue Krieg and we celebrated almost 4 years of good work together, still walking together towards the highlight – the World Council in Estes Park 29th of June this summer.
5. Recommendations for Suspensions by the Executive Committee. This is an unfortunate agenda item which we have to deal with every year. A good number of members had paid up before we met, so the list had become much shorter. The needed suspensions were passed unanimously by the Executive Committee. A much more constructive agenda item was about new members!
6. New members. The following new members will be welcomed at the World Council: Georgia, Armenia, Caymen Islands, Haiti, Cambodia, Romania and Portugal.
7. Update on the Election Process. This gave us the conclusion that we have received 27 candidates for the 26 places we need to elect, and that we have the sufficient numbers of youth and females. 4 Area Presidents are members, but not elected. So the total number is 30.
8.Update on 2013 Financial Statements and 2014 Budget. The finances are under good control and we have only had balanced results so far and did not budget for anything different for 2014. All well received by the Executive Committee.
The raclette was glowing and delicious Swiss cheese was melted and added to raclette potatoes, dried meat and pickled vegetables of various kinds.
And while we were sharing food around the same table, we were sharing memories and highlights and challenges from the past years together and it was quite obvious that here was a group of YMCA leaders feeling good about working together!
Below Annette Colloton, Ken’s wife and Helen.
Helen used the opportunity to try on one piece from my collection of Soviet memorabilia – a genuine Naval Officer’s hat from the North Fleet off the harbor of Murmansk.
The Officers’ and Committee Chairs’ Meeting March 2014 was a great success and we departed with a good feeling that our plans for World Council are developing well, that we have a very good number of movements and delegates lined up for the World Council, and that Youth Empowerment and NEW WAY have done their job and influenced the YMCA family in a good and constructive way and that we are now looking forward to OUR WAY unfolding and developing and to a World Council giving tons of inspiration and encouragement for the travel ahead. Again we were reminded of the African proverb “If you want to travel fast, travel alone, if you want to travel far, travel together!” NEW WAY will become OUR WAY when we travel together. And we plan to travel far!